Thursday, January 22, 2009

Photo challenge...

Anita has set a little challenge for us. I have to choose an older 'forgotten' photo & tell its story. The instructions included looking in the 6th folder for the 6th photo & rediscovering.



This photo was taken at Apollo Bay in 2006. Our 3 families had spent the weekend in a large rental beach house that was able to accomodate all 13 of us. On the Saturday afternoon we did a short walk up to a lovely little waterfall (the name of which escapes me, shows that you really should write down the who, where, when because we do forget!)
Erin & I paused for this shot, taken by Chris with his new mobile phone, it was a novelty to have a phone that could take snaps like this as I hadn't taken a camera at all!
It was quite a warm day & it was lovely to pause at this cool spot & let the kids scramble over rocks, logs & into the waterfall itself.

Thanks Anita for setting the challenge, we need to reflect sometimes & tell our story...the photos don't always have to be perfectly focused, posed or set up.
---------------------------------------------------------

I always loved taking photos, sending off the films to be processed & the anticipation of getting the prints back. I have boxes & boxes of prints & I was diligent about writing details on the back. Photography was a passion, I toyed with the idea of being a photographer but was swayed to do nursing instead by parents who wanted me to have a 'proper' career.

In those boxes photos like this taken when Hayley & Lucy were performing with the ensemble.



Or this one, taken on Mum's 60th birthday when Hayley was a toddler.

Now I have folders & discs with hundreds of pics instead.

I loved my SLR camera with the ability to change settings, focus etc but now I am also lovin' my new digital camera with its instant gratification. I am not so good at recording the details on the computer when I download them but have multiple snaps to choose from when deciding on a layout.

Fun shots like this, & I keep all of them unless they are so blurred I can't tell what it is!

My style has changed with the freedom of digital to shots like this, I would never have wasted the film on such a carefree shot that wasn't posed or perfect, but I'm so glad I have them sitting on my computer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jo. So glad you took up the challenge! Nice photo and memories to go with it. I hear what you mean about your love of photography. Mine is handed down from my Mum who was photo-obsessed when we were growing up. I am quite overwhelmed by my photos right now and spend way too much time searching for a particular photo I want to scrap. I have just enrolled in Stacy Julian's "Library of Memories" course starting in Feb. i'm really inspired to get some sort of order to my photos so that I can be a more inspired scrapbooker. Go and check it out......not sure if you're up for it, but if you're interested I'd love for you to join me.

    ReplyDelete