Saturday, November 5, 2011

Anxiety...

I always like to know where I am going and in particular where I will park when I get there.

Take this latest Fun Run for instance. I wasn't concerned about the actual running, I had trained for that part and even if I couldn't run the whole distance it wouldn't be the end of the world. I wasn't concerned about the weather, and in the end the rain didn't spoil my day. I had most of the details under control but did get a bit stressed out the day before about where I would park and how that might affect me.

Likewise with the next Fun Run I have registered for, this one is in Geelong and they are expecting thousands to enter. My biggest concern is where will we all park? and if I have to park a long way away, will I get to the start on time. Maybe I should catch a train and be an hour early or dashing over to the start line. Silly I know but I can't help it. Maybe I should be more concerned about the hilliness of the course and the chance it could be scorching hot. I ran today up my big hill for practice and was red faced for hours afterwards.

If I have to go to a study day at a new venue, the parking issue will be in my mind until I'm sitting in the lecture theatre taking notes. I can vividly remember the anxiety of the first day of each year of Primary school where we had to find our place in a line in an assembly area. I would feel a near panic at not getting in the right place at the right time.

I was thinking about this again this morning as I headed over to Melton to help out in the Festival parade. Erin and I were running a bit late and I knew there would be road closures, Hayley was already up there and luckily she texted me to let me know the start position was nowhere near where the last parade was held.

A bit of anxiety that was really unnecessary in the scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment