Saturday, March 14, 2009

Toilets...

One of the images I captured whilst riding through Williamstown last weekend has stayed in my mind.

This picture of the housing commision flats reminded me of when Chris & I first met.



How you ask...


When I first met Chris I was a student nurse at the Alfred Hospital, 'living in' at the Nurses' Home grandly named 'Fawkner Mansions' on the corner of Punt & Commercial roads. It was not actually a mansion just a two storey building purpose built in dormitory style with large bathrooms & a small kitchenette on each floor. There was a small office in the foyer with a caretaker to keep an eye on us, not that in the early '80's there were many rules for us to comply with.

Chris was working for a reprographic services company cleverly named RSA, Reprographic Services Australia, in Bank St, Sth Melbourne.

Sometimes I would meet Chris for lunch. We would walk to a small park near to his workplace & spend half an hour together. The park was actually the grounds of a housing commission building similar to this one (maybe bigger). I don't think its called the housing commission anymore, its probably got a fancier, slightly confusing name now.


One day over lunch whilst gazing up at the multi story building Chris came up with this gem


"Imagine how many toilets are in that building."


We often laugh about this now.


It was a observation that when you actually think of the logistics of such a building, the details are staggering, not that such thoughts cross our minds very often.


So next time a new mega structure - hotel or shopping plaza- is opened, just think about how many toilets might be inside!

1 comment:

  1. What a romantic thing to say lol..my husband would have something similar! :D

    ReplyDelete