Monday, March 9, 2009

Labour Day...

Warning: long post ahead...actually its a pictorial essay

I should have painted my door

Chris should have stacked his wood pile
But instead we celebrated the Labour Day public holiday not by labouring but with some deserved recreation - A RIDE...


Start off down the Avenue of Honour, note how Chris is obeying the speed limit

Past the orchards

Past the lettuce farm.
The workers were picking today, I hope they get penalty rates


No-one was picking their own strawberries


Seems to be a golden arches every few kilometres



On the Westgate freeway approaching the city, I'm glad I don't have to commute into the city each day for work

The leafy streets made a change from the busy roads


I saw some pretty homes


and some old ones

and some ugly flats

and some more pretty homes

And some more ugly ones


We ended up in Williamstown with what seemed like the entire population of Melbourne.


I liked this view of the Westgate bridge with all the masts in between

Lots of people were out enjoying the sunshine at Williamstown
Don't have to fight for a parking spot when you're on the bike
A latte, a stretch of the legs & off home again
How would you like to live with that in your backyard?
Not a great pic but that is supposed to be the wire 'sculpture' that hangs near the Westgate freeway. This also marks the spot where you have to hold your nose because the pong is unbelievable!
Grrr Australia Post truck...I'm still cross about my non-delivered parcel but I suppose it is a public holiday today & that driver is working

This is actually the back wall of home units that have been built right up against the Westgate Freeway

Pretty ugly eh? & way too close for my liking. I won't be buying one

Fill up with petrol


Back on the highway with a full tank


Winding through Anthony's Cutting



Still winding through Anthony's Cutting

Back past the market gardens with their rows of cauliflower. I don't know what they grow in those rows but it always looks like cauli


Back past the fruit stalls in the Avenue of Honour


Past the heritage home on Main St.
You'll have to excuse my photography, not so easy with motorcycle gloves on

Cruise down Main St...the trees look nice & shady today, soon the leaves will fall


Wave at the patron at Flanagan's Hotel, enjoying a lemonade in the shade.
That is the pub where the bikies usually meet, none there today when we went past, they're probably still at Williamstown


Through the roundabout

Up Stamford Hill towards home


Turn one last corner & we're almost home

There it is

Home

Now reverse the bike into the garage

All done for today.

It was a lovely day out, the gift of a public holiday.
Thanks Darl (he hates it when I call him that)
















No comments:

Post a Comment