Friday, February 20, 2009

Bottle-O...

I was just reminded of a story from my childhood, so please indulge me the retelling. Maybe its on of those 'you had to be there' stories...we'll see.

I grew up in Essendon & attended the local high school (I'm showing my age because nowadays high schools are called secondary schools)

My younger sister & I walked about 5 blocks to school each day. Sometimes we would see the Bottle-O man collecting empty beer bottles that had been left out next to the rubbish bins.

This particular man was thin, dirty looking & had the appearance of a 'homeless' person - not that we knew what that was back then. He used to push a wheelbarrow around the streets picking up the empty bottles to collect the cash refund.

One morning I clearly remember him following us to school with his wheelbarrow. The barrow had a squeaky wheel & as we walked a little quicker so the rhythm of the squeak also quickened.

Eeek........Eeek.......Eeeek......Eeek.....Eeek....Eeek...Eeek..Eeek!

We sped up, not wanting to look back to see him following us, but we could hear that squeaky wheel getting closer & closer, Eeek.. Eeek.. Eeek.. Eeek.. Eeek, the faster we walked the faster the squeak, Eeek.. Eeek.. Eeek.. Eeek.. Eeek, until we were running!

It was the quickest trip to school we ever made.

That was 30 odd years ago & we still laugh & laugh when we remember this incident.

1 comment: