Thursday, February 24, 2011

The millenium quilt...

or how to jinx yourself in 1000 easy steps.

I don't like to talk about things that are 'in the wind' until they are locked down and happening. It may be superstitious but it avoids complicated explanation of things that you wish had come to fruition but didn't.
If the kids have a job interview or audition I don't like to tell anyone until it is real, as too many times (especially with job applications) it hasn't worked out. It seems your goals and dreams might be overly grandiose to others and if you come a gutser it can be embarrassing.

I made the mistake back in the year 2000 to tell friends and colleagues of my ambition of making a 'millenium quilt'. It was to be a quilt made with 2000 pieces of fabric. Most of the pieces were meant to be collected by sharing our stashes of fabric. I got up to 100 fabric squares and even stitched one block. I still have the box with the neatly stacked 1" squares, some of the material is really beautiful and it would have been a colourful quirky quilt if I had ever finished it.
One of my colleagues who had handed over some fabric, repeatedly asked me how it was going. I couldn't bear to tell her I hadn't really even begun. I saw her recently after a long absence and she again asked me about that bloody quilt. I had to confess and ask her to never speak of it again. I really wanted to say 'Let it go Pam, its never going to happen, its been 10 years now'  but I had talked myself up in the beginning and didn't produce the goods.

So it is with you all promising not to ask me how I'm going that I tell you about something I am embarking on. Its not very dramatic really, its only a running program but I hope to commit and achieve. The program is called  Couch to 5K and once you download the app onto your iPod you can set off and build up to running.



The idea of the program is to start off mostly walking with bursts of jogging/running over a 9 week period until you are running the entire 5 kilometres. Week 1 has been OK and running with 2 friends did push me a bit  more than going solo. I hope to be able to get a bit fitter and lose some weight.

And not jinx myself by talking about it.

2 comments:

  1. Don't say "it's only a running program" Jo - embarking on something so positive is something to be proud of. You go girl! Love how you are willing to try new things and challenge yourself to achieve your goals. A wise woman once said to me (last Tuesday, as a matter of fact) "live and learn I say, your never too old to try something new or to learn from past experiences, good on you". Right back at you, darl. ;)

    ReplyDelete