Friday, July 24, 2009

Grammar...

Yous guys all know I am not usually a Grammar Nazi but...

Little things irritate me. The improper use of your/you're, people who say yous, & those who add a k to words ending(k) in ing. It also irritates me when I see spelling mistakes in the school newsletter, typos I can understand but if it's repeated then they are just dumb.

But I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this mistake on an official government form for the Tax Office. The form asks you to fill in 'the amount you earn't in the last 12 months'!!!!!!

Earn't?!? Where did they get that word from??? What are they contracting with the apostrophe??? Are they stupid???? When I read this I nearly fell off my chair. How did that get past spellchecka?

3 comments:

  1. Oh darling Jo. We truly are kindred spirits. All those little "pet hates" you've listed are mine too. They drive me insane! How is it that the word "earn't" got past everyone who read that document before it was printed and posted? What is the world coming to? Hope you're having a good weekend. Doing anythingk Oh darling Jo. We truly are kindred spirits. All those little "pet hates" you've listed are mine too. They drive me insane! How is it that the word "earn't" got past everyone who read that document before it was printed and posted? What is the world coming to? Hope you're having a good weekend. Doing anythingk special??:) Anita. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth did my comment print twice? Now THAT is one big typo! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, go with it! Tell the Tax Office that you haven't "earn't" anything; therefore, you owe no taxes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete