Monday, April 25, 2011

Our ANZAC day...

On ANZAC day I always look back on my own personal remembrance of the last day I spent with my father before he died.

26 years ago, just 3 months after I was married, our father was fighting lung cancer and enduring more chemotherapy. As ANZAC  day is public holiday to honour our servicemen & women we were able to gather at our parents home and spend what was to be his last day. He took a turn for the worse later that night and died in the emergency dept at RMH. He was just 53 years old and I feel cheated for not having more time with him in my adult life.

This year I also have a renewed interest in the true meaning of the day as our genealogy research has unearthed a few relatives who had fought in France & Egypt in WW1 and one Grand Uncle who is buried at Puchevillers cemetary in France.

We were a couple of family short in our 'family picnic' this year but had a nice time regardless.
Grasshopper & his friend spent a lot of time messaging & checking their texts, they were probably texting each other!

 The Boy Racer enjoyed the sunshine with number 1 brother in law

 These cheeky girls spent a lot of time at the river, see that coffee cup that Erin is holding

 ...well it contained tadpoles!!
 they spent the day in captivity but then were released 'free willy' style to their home

Hayley took loads of pics for me...thanks Hayley
 We might have to find another favourite spot for future picnics as it seems to have become a favourite for many others as well.
 But we love it 'down at the river'.


And we are very lucky to have another day off tomorrow to reflect on all this remembering

No comments:

Post a Comment