Monday, January 31, 2011

Hot weather ramblings...

I think I have Seasonal Affective Disorder or S.A.D.
This disorder is common in winter when people don't get enough sunlight and suffer depression symptoms. I think I have a hot weather version.
When the temperature gets up to 40 degrees I don't cope well, I become a prisoner in my home, not wanting to venture out and becoming increasingly grumpy at not being able to do what I want to do because its 'too hot'. I look to each forecast for a cool change and glimmers of hope that it wont be as bad as I imagine. This Summer has been mild so far and I have enjoyed the weather but I always dread February and any extremely hot days. If the forecast is for 38 and above I close all the blinds and bunker down trying to keep cool.

I normally print off the photos I want to scrap on our Canon printer but since Chris tried another brand of inks I haven't been as happy with the quality of said prints. We will have to go back to genuine inks and put up with the cost to get the quality. In the mean time I am trying Harvey Norman's on-line printing service while their 4x6" prints are just 9 cents each. Yes thats right only 9 cents! I scoured through the hard drive yesterday while I was imprisoned in our dark, coolish home, and picked out some I want to scrap. Hopefully the quality is good but for just $3 it is a good test. I will have scrapping fodder for some time to come.

I made some Afghan biscuits today in a cooler moment. We don't normally eat Cornflakes in our house and I had to buy some especially to make the Florentines last week, so have been looking for other recipes to use them up.
When I was a child our mother made a tuna casserole that had a cornflake topping. Cooking for my new husband I made it exactly the same but he thought this was very strange and refused to eat it again, I have modified the dish and now put a grated cheese and bread crumb topping instead.

You would think I had put Cocoa Pops on top!

 While I was whipping up the biscuits my trusty Kenwood Chef started to make a horrible burning smell. It kept on beating and made no noise to indicate it would not keep on keeping on

I've had it for about 20 years and looks just like this vintage model (my husband didn't buy it for me, I bought it for myself because my Mum had one just like it. Hers went for a long time too and has since been passed on to another enthusiastic baker). Mine has had a lot of use and I will be very sad if it stops going. But as usual my very clever hubby will research, search and find a spare part if it needs repair, he has already started looking for 'bushes' or some such thing.


Maybe my little Kenwood sensed I was eyeing off this little beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment