Sunday, May 18, 2014

Afternoon tea...

I've always loved to bake. I would rather make a sweet item than a savoury one and cooking a meal every night does not inspire me. I used to make a lot of biscuits and cakes but found that I was the one who ate most of it. I would then bake and take it to work to share until it became expected that I would provide the baked goodies and was questioned as to where was the cake today?
So I started to say that I was on a diet and while there is an element of truth to that I ran out of time, I was working more than not and I was enjoying running and exercising rather staying at home to bake.
Until recently, where providing some afternoon tea after our tennis competition is the go. I was asked to fill again this weekend (I am an emergency fill in and I must have been OK for them to ask me again. That or they are completely desperate). Being at 'home' means bringing a plate. And rather than plop a packet of Tim Tams on the table I have found a  renewed joy in baking. Yesterday I made a sponge filled with jam & cream and some tomato pesto savouries.


I looked with relish at my book of favourites today to see what nice thing I can make if I get asked to fill in next weekend.
I remembered a recipe that involves a can of 'pie peaches' and sour cream. Easy, quick and yum. But do you think I can buy the pie peaches now? I looked in both our supermarkets today and only the pie apple is available. That one might have to wait until I go further afield, or to Woolworths, to find some. I am soaking some mixed fruit in hot Lady Grey tea to make a fruit cake tomorrow.

I might even share at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment