Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Time to start up again...

My 4 week enforced break from activities is up and I have tentatively started back on the training track. I've left my books and crafts and projects to put my runners back on. My running gear is a little more snug than it was a month ago. It doesn't take long to soften up and put on weight when you aren't doing too much and have been cooking up a storm.

How much fitness I have lost was brought home last night at my first real track night. I was huffing and puffing and bringing up the rear. The Wings for Life World Run Ambassadors attended to run a promotional fun night culminating in a mini chase. I couldn't keep up. I tried not to give up but couldn't maintain the pace. I've also noticed how well the girls have been doing as they maintain the training runs and gym sessions, getting PBs  and looking fab.

spectating at the Bellarine Flying Brick Sunset Run
 This little girl is such a sweetheart. She endears herself to everyone and is a handy little runner. She tries to keep up with her Dad and big sister. We often run with her and she helps us as much as we help her.
Dunny art
While the girls were running their respective 10k and half marathon races Martin and I walked up the hill to the pub for refreshments before making our way to the finish line to cheer the finishers. Couldn't resist a cheeky pic of this lovely mosaic work that depicts Portarlington but has been unceremoniously mounted on a toilet block.

I haven't been cooped up at home the whole time, I volunteered at parkrun and at track night and cheered others on. I attempted my very first run at parkrun and did Ok without pushing myself too much. I walked 10k at the Relay for Life night.


MCR was the winning team with the most laps completed
Running Buddy tells me that next week is the beginning of my 16 week training program leading up to the marathon. Thankfully such programs start off fairly slow and build up so it should all be OK. Tennis is allowed again and then back to work to try to fit everything in.

Whilst I am itching to get back into it it has been nice to have had this break to regroup and centre myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment